Trump loosens limits on drone strikes and raids – Reprieve comment

September 22, 2017

The Trump administration is set to dismantle Obama-era restrictions on drone strikes and ground raids outside traditional warzones, it’s emerged.

International human rights organization Reprieve has found that since Trump took office, at least 30 civilians have been killed in ground raids and drone strikes in Yemen, where the US is not formally at war. The number includes women and children.

Earlier this year, a judge in DC, ruling on the case of Yemeni drone victim, said that Congressional oversight of the drone program and related military activities was “a joke.”

Commenting, Maya Foa – Director of Reprieve – said:

“This proposal is a foreign policy disaster. The US has the right to defend itself against imminent attack, but as our recent investigation in Yemen shows, the drone program has already moved far from that – selecting targets on the basis of shaky intelligence, and killing hundreds of people, including children. Loosening the already poor safeguards in place will cause more innocents to die, stoke the flames of extremism, and do nothing to make Americans safer.”

Notes to Editors:

1. Reprieve is an international human rights organization. Reprieve’s London office can be contacted on media@reprieve.org.uk, or +44 (0) 207 553 8140

2. The New York Times reports on the Trump Administration’s proposals here.

3. Reprieve’s investigation into the raids in Yemen can be found here.

4. Judge Janice Brown made her comments in the case of Yemeni drone victim Faisal bin Ali Jaber. Further details can be seen here (The Hill).